Sunday, October 17, 2010

Brigitte Gabriel: her anthology of lies

I have written about this woman before when I read her book--an anthology of lies.  I was forwarded an email in which a speech she gave in DC and Duke University was cited.   Here is an excerpt:  "I was ten years old when my home exploded around me, burying me under the rubble and leaving me to drink my blood to survive, as the perpetrators shouted, 'Allah Akbar!'  My only crime was that I was a Christian living in a Christian town.  At 10 years old, I learned the meaning of the word 'infidel.'  I had a crash course in survival. Not in the Girl Scouts, but in a bomb shelter where I lived for seven years in pitch darkness, freezing cold, drinking stale water and eating grass to live."  Is there no journalist in the US to uncover her lies yet??  I mean, those of us who grew up around the same time in Lebanon can easily identify her lies.  No one anywhere in the Lebanese civil war stayed in a shelter for that long?  Usually, you stay for days, if that and then gunfire stops and then you emerge and go to your house, and then brace yourselves for another round, and on and on.  But forget about all her other lies, which are abundant, it suffices to stick and refute this one lie.  Not a single human being Lebanon stayed in a shelter for seven years and survived on grass and blood.  Even during the Israeli siege of Beirut, bribing the corrupt Lebanese Forces militiathugs manning the checkpoint, was enough to bring us fresh produce.  I had my best shawirma these days (i ate meat then).  But lies are acceptable in the US provided they benefit the Israeli political narrative.  (thanks Jon)